Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Am I broke enough to eat?

It's a paradox: some people don't feel that they are sufficiently disadvantaged that they have the right to use Toronto's incredible social resources. It's a gap between completely-fucked and sort-of-fucked, and that's the most important gap in the downward spiral that leads to rock-bottom. Where exactly rock-bottom is depends on your point of view. Typically things can get worse. The only actual, absolute rock-bottom is right after doing whatever it takes to commit suicide, waiting for death to come, and not wanting to abort the plan and stay alive. That is bottom. Anywhere "above" that point is a theoretical space that's subject mostly to intellectualization.

So obviously, everybody has a threshold that must be crossed before they are willing to do certain things, like rely on emergency food security resources.

The role of these services is also a matter of disagreement among the public. Probably the most popular view is that they are for people who aren't expected to bounce back into productive participation in paying for their food, accommodation, and other needs. But these programs have an open-ended criteria for use - they are there to feed whoever is willing to be fed. The most important goal of these services is, in fact, to support people in bouncing back from whatever crisis they're in, so that they don't become a "lifer."

There are several very popular "bouncing back" cases that come into play here:

  • A person has to choose between food money and medication money or funding for more immediate health needs, such as surgery, dental care, etc. If they choose to spend their medication money on food, they risk the health consequences of interrupting their treatment, and the results can put them in a position where they'll need to rely on emergency services indefinitely.
  • Because of the time constraints of a full-time job, or educational study, a person has to choose between purchasing unhealthy food out of convenience, jeopardizing their work or home life to obtain healthy food, going outside their budget for convenient healthy food, or getting it conveniently and for free at a soup kitchen, despite the fact that they can afford it. Once a person can work out a system that works with both their schedule and their health needs, they can be self-sufficient in this area. But the adverse health affects associated with convenient, unhealthy food can jeopardize or limit one's productivity at their work.
  • Being temporarily stuck without a kitchen, for most people, means a diet of restaurant or junk food, which can lead to mental and physical health problems for most people, which can lead to a loss of employment, relationships and social equity.
The incredible number of young people who don't feel poor enough to take advantage of free emergency meal programs run the risk of disadvantaging themselves permanently.

So it's important for people to look at their health situation and make choices that will improve their lives, instead of trying to "tough it out" because they misinterpret the mandate of social programs designed to help people in all states of crisis.

10 comments:

  1. I'm SO happy to have found this site, especially the free meals calendar.
    I am on disability, without a job, without any family or friends, and am STARVING as we speak.
    I'ma young 24 year old woman, who's just had a hell of a lot of bad luck since birth, and I have nothing.
    So I'm going to start going to Shelters for free food because I can't afford anything else right now. I have $60.00 to last me untill the rest of this motnh, untill I get my next chque, and most of that goes to my shitty apartment anyway.
    I'm just so scared about going to a Shelter, like St.Stevens which is one I'm looking at going to, because they all seem to be guys that go there, and yea I'm pretty vulnerable.
    I've also been attacked several times on the streets by guys, so another reason why I'm scared, but I just don't have enough money to last for the end of this month..:(
    I wish I had a job, but I have no resume, no education and no ANYTHING!
    LIFE FUCKIN SUCKS ASS!!!!:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably skilled enough to be making great money for somebody, or just by yourself. It really is the market... it's not that legitimate, it's not that imaginative, and it's not ready for anything at all.

      Delete
    2. And yeah, there really is nothing worse than life. People really want to believe there's a hell for those who really fuck up, but hell is right here. We move in and out of it. Nobody has to leave earth to be in hell. So... welcome to hell on earth.

      Delete
    3. Heaven's here though too, and everybody does have access, so any of us could find ourselves going from hell to heaven in a heartbeat and then staying in heaven and building on it 'till we die, and then who cares what happens?

      Delete
  2. Sorry I meant to say The Good Shepherd centre is the one I'm looking at going to, I'm just really scared to go, I'll be the only young woman there, and I'll definetly be a target..always am....Thank you to whoever made the free meals calendar, or I wouldn't know where to go, even though I have done seraches for free food on the internet such as google etc...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Shepherd is definitely a sketchy one. I have also been the target of gender-based harassment and violence... and I'm a straight guy, so...

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad to hear this site is useful to you. One place I know of that's women-only is Sistering!

    http://www.sistering.org/about/

    I don't think it's listed on here but it should be. If you go there, please write a comment on here about it and I'll turn it into a review!

    The place that's the most civilized, although the food isn't that great these days, is St. Felix.

    The other one that's really safe and civil is the Caribbean Catholic church, Our Lady of Good Council, over on College street. They only do wednesday lunches at 11am, but it's a small and nice group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sistering should definitely be on here! Yes. I should have a page that's a list of "stuff that should be on here" ...like a buffer for edits.

      - Anon Admin

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for those places, I didn't know about these two places, but will definetely be checking them out now! :)

    Like I said, the problem with going to the others I mentioned is I'm pretty much a target..and think I would feel really out of place at a couple of these places, or even worse, as I know some of these places can also attract the wrong type of crowd and don't want to get into any trouble.

    If(and probably will) when I go to these ones you mentioned, I'll write back here and let you know how it was. I live in the east end(Cabbage town area) so I was originally thinking to go to the Fred Victor centre for the $2.50 meals, and was also thinking about the Good Shepherd, but i think now I'll try out Sistering, and Our Lady of Good Council.
    Thanks again so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your experience is really common and that's one reason this site is here. The safest meals are at Sketch, The Stop, St. Felix and 519 Church. The most dangerous ones are the Good Shepherd, Corner Drop-In, Upper Room, and the Meeting Place. Harassment based on demographic prejudice is a problem all across the safety net.

      The519 is strongly recommended to anyone who's LGBTQ-friendly and experiencing harassment.

      -Anon Admin

      Delete